[Geany-Users] Relaxing geany package requirements

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Dec 7 04:37:12 UTC 2016

On 7 December 2016 at 14:00, Asif Aaron Amin <asifamin at utexas.edu> wrote:
> All,
>
> When I try to build the latest geany (version 1.29) from source I get the
> following configure error:
>
> checking for GTK... no
> configure: error: Package requirements (gtk+-2.0 >= 2.24 glib-2.0 >= 2.32
> gio-2.0 >= 2.32 gmodule-no-export-2.0) were not met:
>
> Requested 'glib-2.0 >= 2.32' but version of GLib is 2.28.8
> Requested 'gio-2.0 >= 2.32' but version of GIO is 2.28.8
>
> Is it possible to get past these constraints besides installing the latest
> glib libraries? I'm currently using version 1.27 and I was able to build
> from source flawlessly. I feel bad that I'm not using the bleeding edge
> geany version anymore. Geany is my favorite text editor and I like to get
> the new goodies from each new release!
>
> Would it be possible to relax these constraints in future possibly?

AFAICT Glib 2.32 is needed for the API introspection capabilities that
allows for dynamic plugins, which was added after 1.28.  So it may not
be possible without breaking that capability.  That capability is not
a removable item, so somebody would have to make a pull request to
make it one before older versions would be acceptable.

Note also support for older compilers may not be available in future
releases of Scintilla, so that may also prevent use on very old
distros unless someone wants to do the porting exercise.