[Geany-Users] Editor customization Q?

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Mon Apr 25 12:10:17 UTC 2016

Le 24/04/2016 à 22:01, R.Mariotti a écrit :
> As my eyes get older and more tired I am having difficulty seeing the
> differences between a single quote and double quote characters.
>
> Might there be a tweak to the editor to display each in a different
> color than the other text?  Might help my from becoming blind before my
> time.
>
> Also, is there any other suggestion for accomplishing something similar?

As Lex pointed out, it's not currently doable by simple means, but there
are a few possible solutions I can think of (that require some work, but
not necessarily so hard)

* Use a font with very distinguishable quotes.  That's the most logical
solution: if the characters are hard to distinguish, fix that.  Such a
font might or might not already exist, so you might have to modify a
font for that or not, I don't know.  But that would benefit all your
usage for this font, not only Geany's.

* Write a tiny plugin adding some indicators
(http://www.scintilla.org/ScintillaDoc.html#Indicators) on quotes so
they have additional visual differences.  It should be fairly easy to do
the obvious way, but do need a little programming work.  It should be
similar to existing plugins proposing highlighting the selected word if
somebody needs some inspiration or basis (as it's free software, hack
it, fork it, or whatever, have fun :).

Hope this can help,
Colomban