[Geany-Users] Editor customization Q?

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Apr 25 04:29:44 UTC 2016

On 25 April 2016 at 14:00, John Yeung <gallium.arsenide at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 7:49 PM, Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 25 April 2016 at 06:01, R.Mariotti <r.mariotti at fdcx.net> wrote:
>>> As my eyes get older and more tired I am having difficulty seeing the
>>> differences between a single quote and double quote characters.
>>
>> There is no way of having the different quotes different colours.  It
>> would require special code in the upstream Scintilla editing widget
>> that does the syntax detection for highlighting.  I doubt it would be
>> accepted.
>
> Well, there is clearly *something* in Scintilla that can distinguish
> between the two quote characters, because the C/C++ and Python lexers
> for SciTE have single-quotes as a separate style from double-quotes.
> (No doubt other lexers do as well, but I have personally used those
> two.)

Scintilla is identifying the string (") and character (') quoted
lexical entities, which includes their contents, its not just the " or
' characters.  These entities are available for separate highlighting
as complete entities under the "string" and 'character' names, but you
cannot change the colour of the quotes characters separately, which is
what you asked for.

If you want to change the whole entity see the manual for how to edit
the colour schemes, or just edit the scheme you are using, its pretty
obvious.