[Geany-Users] Geany couldn't open UTF-8 file if file also contains some binary content

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Nov 18 06:48:00 UTC 2015

On 18 November 2015 at 16:39, Михаил Гаврилов
<mikhail.v.gavrilov at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Unfortunately Geany does not open files with binary content because it
>> is not able to handle files containing NULs.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Lex
>

> Is possible to improve the situation here?
> I don't want use sublime editor for it :(

Unfortunately not without a lot of effort, the normal C paradigm that
strings are terminated by NULs is used throughout Geany and the
libraries it uses.  It is probable that there are counted versions of
the libraries, but it is a lot of work to find all uses that need to
change and to store counts for every string that is derived from the
file.

It is however something that can happen over time if anyone wanted to
provide a progressive series of PRs that moved the process along.