[Geany-Users] Geany templates

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Nov 11 23:47:05 UTC 2015

On 12 November 2015 at 01:46, Little Girl <littlergirl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> Lex Trotman wrote:
>
>> On 11 November 2015 at 15:04, Little Girl <littlergirl at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>
>> >  Notice that the first one does expand perfectly when you save
>> > the file. As for the opening and closing brace wildcards in
>> > {ob}{untitled}{cb}, that could be because the command wildcard
>> > literally runs a command in the shell and then sends its output
>> > back into Geany. Since the Geany wildcards are unknown to the
>> > shell, it either ignores them or has an error (not sure).
>
>> There are no substitutes in the command, and the command stops at
>> the first } so its going to be hard to include } in the command.

I meant that Geany ends the substitution at the first } so: {command:
something {ob}{untitled}{ob}} will be seen as the command "something
{ob" or the command "something " depending if the {ob} is substituted
before or after the command one (didn't check).

So it will never do anything useful.

> Oh, I really need to kick myself in the head on that one. I should
> have realized the } is considered a full stop in the shell. (:
>
> I just tried it with single quotes around the {ob}{untitled}{cb}, but
> that doesn't work either (it removes the path).
>
> This works if it's in the first four lines of the template:
>
> # file://{command:pwd}/{filename}

should work anywhere IIUC

>> > I tried it without the {ob} and {cb}, with quotes around it with
>> > and without the {ob} and {cb}, and with $GEANY_FILENAME with and
>> > without quotes around it. I couldn't get any of them to work. The
>> > shell isn't getting the data it needs to finish the command.
>> > Maybe someone who's reading along will jump in and suggest a
>> > better approach. (:
>
>> The $GEANY_FILENAME and friends are only given values if they are
>> known, but the filename isn't known for a new file so the variable
>> is set but to nothing.  That may be your problem.
>
> When would be a good time to use $GEANY_FILENAME?

Actually if you put it that way it doesn't seem to be very useful that
I can tell, but maybe somebody else has an idea.