[Geany-Users] geany on hidpi screen

Jiří Techet techet at xxxxx
Mon Mar 16 10:05:30 UTC 2015

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 9:01 AM, Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> As you no doubt found, Scintilla is included in the nightly. That
> would probably only affect the folding icons, not the file ones.
>
> Unfortunately none of us can test it on hidpi ;-)

I can (well, Apple calls the thing "retina").

I've been playing with hidpi a bit so I can give a little bit more
information. I believe at least the fold expanders are drawn by scintilla
using cairo. Only since cairo 1.14 it supports setting the pixel density
using

cairo_surface_set_device_scale()

after which you can use the same code for hidpi/nohidpi screens (e.g. if
you set the scale 2, for cairo coordinates you can still use 1px which is
automatically drawn as 2px on the hidpi screens). With the GDK backend this
is set for you by GDK which detects the screen resolution for you but you
need at least GTK 3.10 (or 3.12, not sure now) compiled against cairo 1.14.
So at least in theory it should work with recent GTK/cairo.

Now at least with the quartz (OS X) backend, I ran into several problems
where some widgets were drawn hidpi and some not so for the OS X bundle I
decided to use GTK 2 for now (fonts are fortunately rendered hidpi, just
the graphics is a bit pixelated). I think the whole GTK hidpi support is
quite young and will need some time to mature.

I don't think we have to do anything special for hidpi support in Geany
itself except maybe providing higher resolution icons.

Cheers,

Jiri