[Geany-Users] ANN: Overview Plugin (Minimap)

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Thu Mar 12 23:35:06 UTC 2015

On 15-03-12 02:30 PM, Jiří Techet wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 10:20 AM, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I made a plugin that puts one of those little zoomed-out scrollable
>> mini-views into Geany, similar to Sublime Text's minimap. It's quite new
>> but I think most of the bugs are worked out. If you wanna try it out or see
>> it, you can from here:
>>
>> https://github.com/codebrainz/overview-plugin
>>

> Nice! And works on osx too, I've just tested, it's just a bit slow (because
> of slow pango font rendering on retina displays, nothing you can fix). Do
> you plan to include it in geany-plugins? (I think having it there improves
> the plugin's discoverability.)

Yeah, probably will put in Geany-Plugins, just kind of mulling over some
ideas to allow it to have own repository/build system and sync it to
Geany-Plugins whenever important/tested stuff is applied. I'm still not
fond of the the all-or-nothing way of Geany-Plugins, but it's useful for
exposure and packaging purposes of course.

For the performance, it might be possible to optimize somewhat. I think
the plugin does more work than strictly necessary (ex. extra
invalidations of the surface and stuff that cause superfluous re-drawings).

Cheers,
Matthew Brush