[Geany-Users] 1.25 incorrectly detecting file changes

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Jul 29 21:59:10 UTC 2015

On 29 July 2015 at 22:34, Михаил Гаврилов <mikhail.v.gavrilov at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes, thats why Geany 1.25 has changed the notification to a bar at the
>> top of the editor, it is only visible when you have the file visible
>> and it is not modal so it can be ignored if you want to.  But if you
>> have the log file visible, I would have thought you would want to know
>> there is more information available.
>
> To be honest it's annoying before, I just endure it.
> In any case, there is always the button to re-read the contents of the
> file. And frequent notifications annoying once again.
>
>> The current modification time system is to alert users to things like
>> someone else modifying a file you have open, or when checking out a
>> version from VCS changes the file.  That way you are more likely to
>> make edits to the right version of the file.
>
> Imagine that-be if each database when showing query result notified
> that visible data are not relevant.

Well, in many applications they do, but thats irrelevant.

> First it would be very costly in terms of resources.
> Second on the tables with frequents inserts notifications will be blinks.
>
> In general, I understand that I am not convincing.

I'm afraid so, it is very unlikely that we will remove checking for a
file change, only improve it.

We might accept a well written PR that allowed a user to turn
modification checking off per-file, so you can set your log to not
annoy you.

Similarly a PR to calculate and use signatures to check for a changed
file at save *if the timestamp says its changed* might be acceptable
if it has an option to turn it off.