[Geany-Users] 1.25 incorrectly detecting file changes

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Jul 29 10:16:06 UTC 2015

On 29 July 2015 at 19:42, Михаил Гаврилов <mikhail.v.gavrilov at gmail.com> wrote:
>> This could handle identifying that the underlying file has changed at
>> save time, but currently Geany identifies that the file changed a few
>> tens of seconds after it happens.  Then it is more convenient for the
>> user to do something about it, rather than doing a large editing
>> session then finding there is a problem.
>
> Oh...
> I think is not good idea identifies that the file changed a few tens
> of seconds after it happens.
> For example I watch log file which is really changed every second.
> Notification every tens of seconds would be very annoying.

Yes, thats why Geany 1.25 has changed the notification to a bar at the
top of the editor, it is only visible when you have the file visible
and it is not modal so it can be ignored if you want to.  But if you
have the log file visible, I would have thought you would want to know
there is more information available.

> Another case two developers edited source file directly.
> Of course be better use here version control but my suggestion also
> can help here solve conflicts.

The current modification time system is to alert users to things like
someone else modifying a file you have open, or when checking out a
version from VCS changes the file.  That way you are more likely to
make edits to the right version of the file.