[Geany-Users] 1.25 incorrectly detecting file changes

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Fri Jul 24 15:26:50 UTC 2015

On 25 July 2015 at 01:02, Tim Tisdall <tisdall at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24 July 2015 at 10:51, Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Okay, I'm not sure how it supposed to work, but here's what happens on
>>> my machine with the 1.25:
>>>
>>> inotifywait seems to register nothing when I save the file.
>>
>> That doesn't seem right, what file are you watching? The time we need
>> is of the remote file, which, if its only accessible by sftp, may not
>> be able to be watched by notify.
>
> I'm watching the file on my local machine.  The
> "/run/user/1000/gvfs/sftp:host= ... somefile.py" file.  Should I try
> it on the file on the remote machine?  I thought it only mattered what
> Geany saw on the local machine.

Well I guess really the question is how do the times on the two
machines compare?  Also how do the clocks on the two machines compare?
Its really still fishing since as far as we can tell we didn't do
anything significant in the latest Geany.

>>> When the
>>> warning comes up in Geany and I pick "relead", then inotify registers
>>> three actions:  "OPEN", "ACCESS", and "CLOSE_NOWRITE,CLOSE".
>>
>> Looks right for reload, it just reads the file after all, but it
>> doesn't show the stat call.
>>

>>> watch is rather annoying because it doesn't give an ongoing log of
>>> changes.  I turned on the '-d' to highlight the changes, but it'd
>>> still be better if it gave an ongoing log.  The result with that was
>>> that it only seemed to update the timestamps once.  However, it's
>>> possible that since it's polling once a second that two timestamp
>>> changes occurred within that one second and I'm just not able to see
>>> that.  :(
>>>
>>> So, I'm not really sure if we're any further ahead with figuring out
>>> the issue...  Are there any other tests I could try?
>>
>> The only thing I can suggest is if you can build Geany then add some
>> printfs to see what times it sees during the operations to try to find
>> out what is actually happening.
>
> Yeah...  The only issue is Geany is supposed to be a tool to help me
> do my work... not a tool to help create new work for me.  ;)  I'll see
> if I can find time to do this, but it doesn't look promising.  I also
> have zero familiarity with the code-base so I'd probably take me
> longer than I'd like to figure out where to put those printf
> statements.

Yeah, sorry its a pain, but nobody else has your setup, so only you
can reproduce the problem.

Might have time later to look where to put the prints.