[Geany-Users] 1.25 incorrectly detecting file changes

William Waalkes waalkesw at xxxxx
Wed Jul 22 12:38:17 UTC 2015

Hello, how do I get removed from this list?

Thanks

On Wednesday, July 22, 2015, Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 22 July 2015 at 22:24, Tim Tisdall <tisdall at gmail.com <javascript:;>>
> wrote:
> > On 21 July 2015 at 17:04, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> >> I've never heard of it. One thing you could try is to watch the files
> using
> >> `inotifywait` (in `inotify-tools` package) like:
> >>
> >>     $ inotifywait -m /path/to/a/file/in/question
> >>
> >> And see if it reports changes. Another way (since I don't think Geany
> uses
> >> inotify by default but rather just stat's the file), would be something
> >> like:
> >>
> >>     $ watch -n 1 stat -c '%y' /path/to/a/file/in/question
> >>
> >> And see if the timestamp changes when you do whatever stuff to the
> files. If
> >> it does change, it's expected that Geany would prompt you since the file
> >> actually changed (it would be a bug in your filesystem).
> >
> > I'm on a different machine today, but I'll have to try this out on
> > Friday when I'm using the machine I upgraded on.
> >
> > Is there any way to switch Geany to using inotify over stat?  I'm not
> > sure if that'd help, but worth a try.
>
> It has been tried, but IIRC it seemed to generate even more spurious
> notifications, so it was turned off.
>
> Cheers
> Lex

William Waalkes
President, University of Michigan Student Astronomical Society
University of Michigan, College of Literature, Science, and the Arts
Undergraduate, Class of 2016
Physics Dept, Astronomy & Astrophysics Dept
waalkesw at umich.edu