[Geany-Users] The future of the GeanyPrj plugin

Jiří Techet techet at xxxxx
Fri Jan 30 16:18:34 UTC 2015

Hi,

me again :-). With other Geany developers we have been discussing the
future of the GeanyPrj plugin. The problem is the original developer behind
it has abandoned the project so it is unmaintained now. There are several
things we could do:

1. Nothing - i.e. keep it in the plugins repository unmaintained.

2. Somebody volunteers to maintain it (anyone?).

3. The plugin will be removed from the geany-plugins repository.

I would like to discuss the option (3) - while I haven't used the plugin
myself much, I think the main reason people were using it was you could see
multiple projects in the sidebar (and have them indexed). This is however
possible with my ProjectOrganizer plugin now (see the announcement) so the
question is whether there is any other use for the plugin. Otherwise I
believe ProjectOrganizer offers many more features and displays the project
files better so at least from my point of view (which may be biased), I
think ProjectOrganizer is more or less a superset of GeanyPrj. (One
exception is that with ProjectOrganizer you have to create projects
explicitly while with GeanyPrj there's just kind of implicit project
specification by pointing it to the directory where you keep projects).

So my preferred choice is (3) but if someone still finds the plugin useful
and uses it, we can keep the plugin in the repository.

Cheers,

Jiri