[Geany-Users] Can Geany be configured (plugin?) to only Complete Words from a given file?

Chris Simon xtiansimon at xxxxx
Fri Jan 2 18:20:06 UTC 2015

Geany has many features to help the programmer. Among these are autocompletion and definition popup features. These same tools are tantelizingly close to being useful for another strict syntax problem for writing/using a Closed Vocabulary.

Right now, Geany will present a popup list of options using the autocomplete scheme Complete Word, but only once that vocabulary is already present within the file. Even if the complete "for all words in a document" option is off, Geany doesn't look elsewhere for a list of predetermined words. It's the user experience equivalent of a non-closed vocabulary--anything goes.

It's possible to define autocomplete Snippets; however, these are only useful when what you're expanding is longer than the keyword. And, to get the benefit of Snippet substitution, you need to know the exact keyword--no hints.

Can anything be done with plugins to change how Geany searches for words under the Complete Word process?

----
I don't see it's possible within the application currently. Unless there's something I've missed, which is completely possible. I've not used Geany for programming yet (kinda used to vim). I have been using it as a default text editor when in Xwindows, because it's really fast and has some nice features.

Chris Simon
                                                                                               516-669-0171