[Geany-Users] debugging while interacting with program

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Sat Feb 14 01:37:06 UTC 2015

On 15-02-13 11:34 AM, Richard Mindorff wrote:
> When using the komodo ide for php I could interact with my program, putting
> in data and using checkboxes and other HTML controls while debugging the
> code in the IDE.
> I would like to do the same thing for a C project. Geany uses GTK+ which has
> controls. Can I interact in some terminal  while debugging in the geany ide?
> Can I use other libraries like allegro to get controls that I can interact with?
> Thanks,
> rm_

Using Scope or one of the other GDB plugins you can do typical debugging
stuff (set breakpoints, step into/over/next, etc) but I'm not sure
you'll be able to (or want to) inject machine code for your favourite
GUI library and jump to it and make it update GUI state, and so on from
the GDB shell.

You can also just use plain old GDB command (or ncurses) interface, I
think all the GDB plugins for Geany probably provide a terminal all
hooked up to the debugger. GDB supports Python scripting IIRC, which
might make the kind of thing it sounds like you want to do a little more
bearable/possible.

If instead you want to muck around with Geany's GTK GUI from the command
line, you probably want GeanyPy, which provides hooks into Geany's guts
from Python, and provides a Python command line and would allow you to
make windows with forms that could insert text into your source code,
etc. It's a little unclear exactly what you want to do.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush