[Geany-Users] geany blank files start with two lines

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Fri Dec 18 13:26:04 UTC 2015

Hi,

Le 18/12/2015 14:18, Daiyue Weng a écrit :
> Hi, I found that whenever I create and save a blank java files (e.g.
> click 'New' -> save 'untitled' as 'file_name.java'), the saved files
> always start with two blank lines. I am wondering how to make it only
> start with one line.

That's not actually 2 blank lines, it's a file with one single newline
character (either NL (UNIX-ish), CR+NL (Windows-ish) or CR (Old
MacOS-ish)).  Line 1 you see is before the newline, and line 2 after.
So there's actually one single sequence of "content + newline sequence",
but is displayed with a second line so you can add stuff after the
newline sequence.

By default Geany will ensure there's always at least one newline at the
end of the files when it saves it, for various compatibility reasons,
and because it's generally what people want (each line with something it
in being terminated with a newline).
You can disable this in the preferences under *Files -> Saving Files ->
Ensure new line at file end*.

Regards,
Colomban