[Geany-Users] Looking to contribute

Ray Andrews rayandrews at xxxxx
Sun Dec 13 23:47:17 UTC 2015

On 12/13/2015 02:45 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:
> Scintilla is a project maintained by one person in their own time.

Just one guy?  I subscribed to their list, and there seemed to be
several people involved.

> Like all open source projects, he will accept well written additions
> or changes contributed by others, but he is unable to perform
> significant maintenance on all the contributed lexers by himself, due
> to time and the detailed knowledge of the language needed. He is
> usually good about stating that he won't be able to work on it
> himself. For contributed lexers the individual maintainers may help if
> they have time and knowledge of what is to be changed (and this was
> the problem with the zsh changes, nobody could define them), although
> some of the maintainers have also disappeared and no longer
> contribute. So for changes to Scintilla, yes it is usually necessary
> to do it yourself, and if its done well it is probably likely to be
> accepted, despite Neils occasionally voiced concerns about long term
> maintainability and utility of all those lexers. Cheers Lex

Well, if I knew where to start I'd certainly be willing.  As I said to
them, a 99% accuracy should be easy even if there is some obscure
exception and 100% should be achievable with work.  One of the people on
their list said he might look into it over the holidays, and that's
where it lies at the moment.