[Geany-Users] Search in symbolic link files

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed May 21 09:34:26 UTC 2014

On 21 May 2014 19:05, Emil Brink <emil at obsession.se> wrote:
> Assuming GNU grep, the --dereference-recursive (-R) option makes it follow
> symlinks when recursing directories.
>
> See GNU grep 2.18 manual:
> <http://www.gnu.org/software/grep/manual/grep.html#index-recursive-search-123>.

Yes, but the grep command generated uses the -r option, so its not
possible to use -R.

IIRC it was decided to do this to avoid infinite loops from cycles
created by links.

Also it seems silly that searching the contents of links to files
depends on using the recursive option at all.