[Geany-Users] Problem with mouse copy/paste

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu May 8 07:53:56 UTC 2014

[...]
> Funny, it's about 20 years now that I'm using that method to quickly
> copy-paste under linux using the mouse, just to discover today that it's the
> wrong one :) Never too late to learn something!
>
> BTW it's a pity, because I find it much more quick and intuitive than
> hitting various keyboard combinations like CTRL+SHIF+C or similar.
>
> Just to be sure, I did some quick tests (I'm on Kubuntu 14.04 64bit):

Perhaps its a KDE thing.

The KDE usability guidelines do not mention how mouse interaction is
meant to work (that I can see, correct me if I'm wrong)
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG#Structure

The Gnome HIG however says "Your application uses the middle button to
paste the current PRIMARY (usually the last-highlighted) selection at
the pointer position"
https://developer.gnome.org/hig-book/stable/input-mouse.html.en  So if
nothing is highlighted, nothing is selected.

This is the behaviour that Gnome applications conform to, eg geany, gedit etc.

> mouse copy-paste  works fine (as I expected) in terminal applications like
> konsole and xterm and works in mozilla FF and thunderbird.
> Among IDE's it works fine under kdevelop, netbeans, eclipse kepler.

kdevelop is a KDE app, netbeens and eclipse are portable Java apps and
conform to the java tool kit, not any desktop convention.

> Ah, it also works in vim (didn't test emacs though).... I'm pretty sure all
> curses-based apps work.

Terminal based apps do that because they cannot locate another
position whilst keeping the selection, since they only have one
cursor.  Graphical UIs have a text cursor and a mouse cursor (pointer)
and so can nominate the cursor position without moving the text
selection.

> Are you really sure that all these applications are doing it the wrong way?

Yes :)