[Geany-Users] custom syntax rules

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Mon Jun 2 23:52:40 UTC 2014

On 14-06-02 09:16 AM, B rock wrote:
> Hi all, I really like using geany for C++ development, and I have a
> quick question about custom syntax highlighting rules. Presently I
> can change the syntax colouring of existing rules like "comment",
> "string", "brace_good" etc. I was wondering if it's possible to
> create custom rules and colour them. For example, colour any word
> that begins with a capital letter, or colour specific operators like
> brackets, etc. In some other editors like vim I would achieve this
> using a regex to define the rule. Is it possible in geany? Thanks,

Geany/Scintilla's lexers are written in C+<del>+</del> so it's not super
convenient to change them for most users, but if you know C++, the ones
I've looked at are fairly straightforward and readable. They can be
found in the `scintilla/lexers` directory if you do want to hack on
them. There's some fairly good info in the links at the top of
Scintilla's documentation website too.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush