[Geany-Users] I want to run a c program on Prisoner's Dilemma in Geany but can't

Rajib Bandopadhyay bkpsusmitaa at xxxxx
Wed Jul 23 12:37:50 UTC 2014

Colomban Wendling <lists.ban at ...> writes:

> IIUC, you tried to install the Debian packages on Knoppix.  Even if a
> distribution is Debian-based doesn't mean any Debian package will work
> seamlessly on it.  Using a package not specifically crafted for your
> very distribution is a risky bet if you don't know your package manager
> *very* well.  It might work, but it also might not (e.g. if versions of
> dependencies differ).

Knoppix is Debian, and uses its repositories. You could check it yourself
from /etc/apt/sources.lists . The problem is that it mixes up different
stages, Stable, Testing, Experimental, etc., which creates these issues. The
issue is with Debian package, as my snapshots will show. I use both Debian
and Knoppix. Unfortunately, my Debian is Lenny, and Scope does not have a
Lenny version. Therefore, I am compelled to use Knoppix 7.2 as it was
Knoppix that introduced me to Geany the first time. :)

> I also think I understood you manually installed the packages rather
> than adding a repository...

No, I tried, but that didn't work because of compatibility issue. I don't
force packages.

In the end, I thank you for responding to my email. I will try to install
Geany and plugins via sources.

Regards