[Geany-Users] I want to run a c program on Prisoner's Dilemma in Geany but can't

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Jul 23 11:33:14 UTC 2014

On 23 July 2014 21:19, Rajib Bandopadhyay <bkpsusmitaa at gmail.com> wrote:
> [Attn: Lex Trotman - Some additions]
>
> On 23/07/2014, Rajib Bandopadhyay <bkpsusmitaa at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Lex,
> Please peruse the following links and then the attached snapshots:
> A.   http://www.geany.org/Support/Plugins
> The Geany-Plugins project
> The Geany-Plugins project is a combined release for each matching
> Geany release, starting with version 0.17.
> It includes a huge number of plugins for different purposes.
> Please have a look at http://plugins.geany.org/ for more information.
>
> B.   http://plugins.geany.org/install.html
> Install Geany-Plugins
> There are different ways to get the Geany-Plugins project onto your
> system. The easiest is to ask the package manager software of the
> distribution you are using.
>
> This approach has led me to a complicated situation. Instead of
> focussing on the task at hand I am now trying to get Geany fixed.

That advice is normally correct, it is usually best to use the package
provided by your distribution.  It is unfortunate if your distribution
has provided a bad package, but the Geany project has no control over
that.

> I again draw your attention to Geany's USP, "...Another goal was to be as
> independent as possible from a special Desktop Environment like KDE or
> GNOME - Geany only requires the GTK2 runtime libraries..."
>
> So how come Geany gets to depend on so many packages and breaks
> them(snapshots)? ;)

The statement you quoted above is correct, Geany only needs the GTK
runtimes to run.  There is no way Geany can break packages, but your
distribution can accidentally provide bad packages at times.  That is
a concern you need to raise with the distribution to get answers, we
cannnot help you with that, we do not make the packages.

> I hope you would weigh the points I have raised.
>
> And your email does not address my other issue: "There must be a
> system of specific configuration where the developers test their
> codes."

Developers test on a number of different systems, with differing
configurations, there is no specific configuration used.

> What is the specific system you all use? Let me know and I will set up
> the same system to minimise fuss.
>
> But first of all, I would compile the software from the source code
> and try to solve the issues. Let's see how this goes :)

Ok, note that to compile the software you will likely need development
tools and development versions of GTK, not just the runtimes.