[Geany-Users] Use python virtualenvs in Geany

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sat Feb 1 12:56:48 UTC 2014

On 01/02/14 00:58, Sayth Renshaw wrote:
> Thanks for the help. I use virtualenvwrapper and am comfortable with it.
>
> Will just start from with env at moment and play with the build commands.
>
> Perhaps I was over thinking it.

I don't use virtualenvwrapper and so don't know it very much. I
personally rather like to work with virtualenv directly,
virtualenvwrapper always caused me more troubles than it solved.

That said and putting virtualenvwrapper aside, it should be quite easy:
create a project in Geany per virtualenv and adjust the build commands.
Without having tested it, it should be sufficient to just use the Python
executable from the bin directory of the corresponding virtualenv as
this interpreter executable already knows about the paths. No sure how
this works but it does. This way you can save you the hassle of
activating the virtualenv.
As said, I didn't test it, but I use the 'specific python executable'
trick on production machines to start cronjobs and other management
commands in some Django projects.