[Geany-Users] Creating a version of Geany for Microcontrollers

lmx lmx1 at xxxxx
Thu Oct 31 17:45:50 UTC 2013

On 31/10/13 07:53, Frank Lanitz wrote:
> Am 31.10.2013 07:05, schrieb lmx:
>> On 31/10/13 03:54, Lex Trotman wrote:
>>>

>>> On 31 October 2013 13:44, lmx <lmx1 at sapo.pt <mailto:lmx1 at sapo.pt>> wrote:
>>>
>>>      Hi guys,
>>>
>>>      I like a lot geany, it is very powerful, and simple, fast... ;)
>>>
>>>      I think that it is the best candidate to be the base of a IDE for
>>>      microcontroler's...
>>>      As the beginning using SDCC(it start to support one MCU of my
>>>      interest...STM8).
>>>
>>>      I don't know how to start :S , I just downloaded the source
>>>      code...I see that it is almost a C project ;)
>>>      I need to change some things in the graphical fronted...I never
>>>      played with gtk, or glade :(.
>>>
>>>      And worst, I don't  know what files to change and where ...but i
>>>      have compiled it successfully.
>>>

>>>      Any description of the folder's in the role of geany ?
>>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Not sure exactly what you are trying to do.  The HACKING file provides
>>> some guidance for adding a language which is the most common
>>> adaptation people do.
>>>
>>> Otherwise you need to ask specific questions.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Lex
>>>

>> Hi Lex,
>>
>> Thanks,  in advance, for the reply.
>>
>> My idea is, drop a lot of functionality, and add others...
>> for example:
>>   drop support for java,c++,python,etc
>> add other functionalities , like some support for MCU's, registers,
>> snippets of code to configure things(uart,i2c,spi,clock,etc), almost out
>> of the box,etc
>>
>> Thanks for the hint on HACKING ;)
>>
>> I Look on Git, but I CAN`T find a project already made for any IDE.
>> Is there  a project, that already include all the source files, or we
>> have to add them file, by file?It's a lot of work only doing that :S
>>
>> I suppose you use geany, to build geany right ?
> Why not adding features as plugin(s) instead of forking Geany? This will
> give you the davantage you don't have to care too much about development
> of core functions and also to make usage of all the other plugins.
>
> Cheers,
> Frank

Hi Frank,

The Idea of the plugins is good, but i don' t know if we could for
example change the graphical front end in our desire, only with
plugins...I don  know their flexibility :S
For example,we already have ctrl+f feature, but we have a search box in
geany :S.
I will not need the color chooser for MCU's, and why we need the "quit"
button on this?we already have the quit button on the window.

In this places I need a microcontroller chooser.
On the right section of geany I need a lot of support things for
registers, assembler instructions(for a micro controller that already
have been chosen), the schematic pinout diagram, and another things...i
am saying in the right, because we rarely use more than half of the
editor with code...

I don't  know if I can change the basic features of geany with
plugins?but if I could, I wold prefer the plugins version, because we
can have a IDE for a lot of things ;)

thanks in advance

regards
tux