[Geany-Users] Hierarchy of config dirs

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Tue Oct 29 00:17:59 UTC 2013

Hi Jake,

On 29 October 2013 02:44, Jake Richards <blaven at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello:
>   If possible, I'd like to have a hierarchy of config dirs that geany
> looks at when it starts up.  We'd like to have a global repository, and
> departmental config and then the user area.  Right now, it looks like there
> are only two places to put config files which are hard coded?  (The global
> share and user space ~/.config/geany)

Sorry Geany is hard coded to two places, see below.

>  Is there an environment variable I can set to define a list of dirs for
> geany to look in?

No.

> Or, if anyone is familiar with the source code, where I can look to try
> and add my own changes to the source and recompile with this functionality?
>  Or, is there possibly a third way, by calling an 'include' or 'import'
> from within my user config to load a departmental config?  I'm using geany
> 1.23 in linux.

Warning: I think it would be difficult, but here are a few notes which
hopefully help.

1) The config is not just a single file, its a directory tree, and
different parts of it are read at different times depending on what Geany
is used for.  So there is not just one part read in a single place at
startup.  You will have to look through every module I'm afraid.

2) The user config is written when preferences are modified. You will need
to be careful that settings from the system/department levels don't migrate
to the user level and then they will override any changes made at the
system or department level.

3) The config files use the Glib g_key_file* functions which do not support
inclusion or hierarchies.  So even the current two level arrangement has to
be done by querying one key file for the setting, then querying the other,
and, because of 1) the code for that is not in one place, nor is it read at
one time.

4) Don't forget there are project files in the mix as well, but they don't
support all settings that the system/user configs do.