[Geany-Users] Some questions about tags

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Nov 18 22:38:09 UTC 2013

On 19 November 2013 06:48, Carlos Pita <carlosjosepita at gmail.com> wrote:

> I see that option reading and initializing was removed from
> tagmanager/ctags/options.c:
>
> #define readOptionConfiguration
> #define initOptions
> #define freeOptionResources
>
> I assume there are good reasons for this, but would it be too
> difficult to make the embedded ctags read ~/.ctags? Would it take a
> lot more effort than more or less copy&pasting some code from the
> official ctags?
>

> I understand one can just write a C extension for ctags, even one only
> relying on regexs the same as would be done in ~/.ctags, which is not
> that hard, but it would be nice to avoid geany recompilation for
> simple tasks.

Currently there is no way to define new parsers without re-compiling and no
way of assigning them to filetypes without re-compiling.  So to allow
configurable parsers you would need to add that capability first.

It would be less work to compile in your new filetype and add the
capability to load the regexen to it.

Note that the current R parser has the (compile time) option to use the
regex parser, but it defaults to a coded one.  Don't know why or whats the
difference.  But even if it used the regex one it would not load options,
you would have to add that.

On using regex parsers, note that by default the parser runs every 250ms
when you are making changes to a file, don't make your regexes too complex
(or get a faster machine I guess).

Any advice will be very much appreciated.