[Geany-Users] Geany list

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Sun Nov 10 23:48:51 UTC 2013

On 13-11-10 03:35 PM, James Brierley wrote:
> Ah, this has reminded me: I forgot to mention, but perhaps it would be
> possible (for someone) to write a plugin which pipes your code through
> something such as Uncrustify, which is a modern version of the classic
> Unix utility ‘cb’. You would still need to hit a button to beautify your
> code (rather like the XML PrettyPrinter plugin) but at least it might be
> one way of having configurable indentation without costly on-the-fly
> parsing.
>
> I’d have a go at this myself, but for the fact that I’m a CS graduate
> student (learning all that new stuff is great but why do they have to
> give you piles of coursework as well? :P)

I wrote and use such a plugin for C/C++/Obj-c using Clang-Format. I
actually use it "real-time" just always keeping my code perfectly
formatted (triggers on a set of configurable chars like closing braces
and semicolons and such), but auto/realtime formatting isn't on by
default and you can choose to format a selection, document, or all open
documents rather than having it in "real-time"/automatic mode.

It's here:
http://codebrainz.github.io/code-format/

And a boring demo video is here:
http://codebrainz.ca/screencasts/GeanyCodeFormatC++.avi

I think Colomban also started working on a more general purpose version
of something like this using GNU Indent, Astyle or Uncrustify (or one of
those), but I'm not sure how far it got.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush