[Geany-Users] Geany list

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sun Nov 10 21:55:53 UTC 2013

Hi,

Unfortunately Geany does not do language specific indentation.  It
currently has a few very simple indentation rules based on usage of {} or :
(for Python only)

We have had long discussions about configurable approaches, but any that
seem to provide a useful improvement also seem to add just as many annoying
erroneous situations.

Coincidently I came across another programmers editor which does do
specific indentation, and it was claimed it used 12% of its code, just for
indentation!!!

Other IDEs do it based on parsing the code as you type and determining the
indentation based on the language construct.  However to remain light and
fast Geany does not analyse the code on the fly, and so we are unable to
use such a method.

Without wanting to re-ignite the indentation wars, if anybody has a simple,
fast and configurable indentation method that does the right thing and does
not do the wrong thing please let us know.

PS just a note that most methods seem to fail with things like indentation
for lines that are continuations of expressions, function calls and similar
situations.  Or they only work if you use one specific style of source
layout such as GNU style.  Or they fail to respect manually set indentation
for situations above.