[Geany-Users] Creating a version of Geany for Microcontrollers

James Brierley jmb8710 at xxxxx
Tue Nov 5 02:11:54 UTC 2013

Hi guys,

Just to say, I definitely think that extending Geany to support
microcontrollers and embedded development is a good idea -- I'm an
Arduino user myself and I can't stand the supplied (so-called) 'IDE'.

But -- just a suggestion -- I think it would be better to implement this
through plugins, rather than forking Geany or deriving something
completely separate. What I like about Geany is that it's quite modular,
and I think it's worth taking advantage of this.

Regarding having a listing of the assembly instructions, registers etc.
of an MCU, I'm wondering if it might be better to work with Geany's
'tags' functionality. See for instance /usr/share/geany/filetypes.c and
http://www.geany.org/manual/current/index.html#tags. I admit that I
haven't really looked into how the API interacts with tags files or
whether it would be possible to augment them with any kind of
documentation, etc.

I don't think a database is necessarily the worst idea, but a WebKit
datasheet viewer would seem to make more sense... isn't 'the cloud'
where it's at these days? ;)

By the way, I'm not a Geany developer, just a layman in the Cult of Geany.

James

--
"Unix is the worst computer operating system, except
all the others that have been tried."