[Geany-Users] Sluggish (slow; transiently non-responsive) Geany?

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Jul 24 07:09:11 UTC 2013

On 24 July 2013 16:24, Thomas Martitz
<thomas.martitz at student.htw-berlin.de>wrote:

>  Am 24.07.2013 02:57, schrieb Lex Trotman:
>
> [...]
>

>>  =============================================
>>
>> THIRD: Geany (regular launch; 'Spell Check' plugin disabled
>> (deselected)): Working normally; no 'freezes'!  :-)  Very fast, responsive
>> (immediate) - heavy (intensive)  pastes/saves/deletes ...
>>

>  Ok, well, now the culprit is identified :)
>
>  But it is still worthwhile getting the backtrace from GDB as I asked.
>  Since it doesn't happen here, that will provide some guidance for the
> plugin maintainer where to look.  Without that info he may not be able to
> recreate the fault to fix it.
>

> He pasted the backtrace, you don't seem to read carefully these days :)
> Anyway, it sat in poll() so I assume another thread causes the problems.

Yes, I should have been clearer, I meant a backtrace that caught where
spellcheck was looping (for Enrico's benefit).  As you say this doesn't.

> To the OP: Can you provide a backtrace for each thread when the freeze
> problem occurs? To do this repeat the GDB procedure up to the point where
> you enter bt. But instead of bt do this:
>
> 1) print the threads and their IDs: 'info threads'
> for each thread:
>   a) switch to thread with 'thread <ID>'
>   b) print backtrace with bt

Spellcheck shouldn't be in a different thread to the UI, and the bt seems
to be the main thread, but maybe you are right and this isn't the main
thread.  Looking at all the threads should show that.

Or maybe spellcheck is doing something that causes glib to go into a
polling loop, or maybe ctrl-c wasn't typed fast enough to catch it still in
slow mode.

Thats enough speculative possibilities for now. :) Lets hope it can be
caught.