[Geany-Users] backquote as string delimiter

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Sat Jul 6 23:09:21 UTC 2013

On 13-07-06 03:13 PM, Ricky Seltzer wrote:
> Geany syntax highlighting handles single and double quotes just fine.
> But I'm using Google's language golang and the backquote is also used as a
> string delimiter.
> Geany doesn't understand this.
> What do I hack to make geany understand this?:
>         whatever = `some string`

I don't think it's possible at present. Go support is very basic and
uses the C/C++ lexer which doesn't support that. Unfortunately until
someone writes a Go lexer for Scintilla[1], or someone find a better
fitting existing lexer to base the Go filetype on, we're stuck with
issues like this.

If you happen to be a C++ programmer with some spare time, I bet a lot
of people would be happy to get proper Go support in Scintilla, and not
just Geany users, since a lot of editors also use Scintilla.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush

[1] https://sourceforge.net/p/scintilla/feature-requests/750/