[Geany-Users] Ruby indent not working

Lex Trotman elextr at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 20:28:54 UTC 2013

On 17 January 2013 23:02, Sayth Renshaw <flebber.crue at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I just installed geany 1.22 on a windows 7 laptop and I am starting into
> rails. So I am tinkering with ruby files which I haven't done before.
>
> The thing is geany isn't indenting my files.
>
> I created a file test.rb and just typed a multi array and printed it to
> output as a test.
>
> However I got no indenting so it looks like.
>
> my_array = [[1,0],[2,1],[3,2]]
>
> my_array.each do |x|
> x.each do |y|
> puts y
> end
> end
>
> when it should look like.
>
> my_array = [[1,0],[2,1],[3,2]]
>
> my_array.each do |x|
> x.each do |y|
> puts y
> end
> end
>
> Not sure if I have missed something Ruby specific

Hi,

Well, sort of, or rather Geany has missed something, Ruby specific
support for indenting :)

Geany autoindent is almost language independent, it knows how to:

1. go to the same indent as last line
2. indent and unindent on { and }
3. as a special case only, indent on : in Python

None of these will work for Ruby IIUC.

What it needs is for someone to specify the algorithm, and to provide
a plugin that implements it (such language specific stuff shouldn't be
in core)