[Geany-Users] EuGeany - Geany support for the Euphoria Programming Language

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Sat Feb 23 21:32:27 UTC 2013

On 13-02-23 11:57 AM, Codger wrote:
> Greetings All,
>
> This "kludge" may interest those who are interested in using Geany to edit
> source files in languages for which Geany has no native support.
>
> I have managed to obtain a high degree of support for the Euphoria
> Programming Language, including syntax color and context sensitive help, by
> backing up the original lua support files/references in filetypes.lua,
> filetype_extensions.conf, and snippets.conf,  and then editing the lua
> files/references to
> support Euphoria.  Support for Lua can be swapped/restored back by
> executing a batch file type program,
> written in Euphoria, which overwrites the the euphoria enabled, files with
> the origninal Lua support  files.  In like manner, Euphoria support can be
> selected again by copying/overwriting the Lua enabled files with those
> supporting Euphoria.

TLDR; but you can make a custom filetype based on Lua's without
clobbering the old one, there's some info in the manual:
http://www.geany.org/manual/current/index.html#custom-filetypes

The general idea goes something like this:

     $ cp /usr/local/share/geany/filetypes.lua \
         /home/you/.config/geany/filedefs/filetypes.Euphoria.conf

And then edit the filetypes.Euphoria.conf file to customize keywords,
settings, styles, etc. Then you need to add an extension to
filetype_extensions.conf [Extensions] group:

     Euphoria=*.eu;

And then add it to a [Groups] group in that same file:

     Script=...;Euphoria;

Then after you restart all Geany instances you can have Lua and Euphoria
side by side without having to choose which one is supported.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush