[Geany-Users] adding json support

Bob Furber burnsmicro at xxxxx
Fri Feb 22 19:38:52 UTC 2013

On 13-02-21 06:21 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> Lets just summarise the steps for you to check:
>
> 1. You are using Geany 0.21 or 1.22 (older may work but no guarantee)

It turns out I had Geany 0.21, so I upgraded to 1.22:
   sudo add-apt-repository ppa:geany-dev/ppa
   sudo apt-get update
   sudo apt-get upgrade

> 2. You followed Colomban's advice to menu->tools->configuration
> files->filetype_extensions.conf and added the two lines from the wiki,
> note one is in the [extensions] section and one in the [groups]
> section.

Yes. Under [Extensions], I added
   JSON=*.json;

..and, under [Groups] I added:
   Misc=JSON;

> 3. You followed Colomban's advice to copy the filetypes.JSON.conf from
> the wiki to your ~/.config/geany/filedefs directory

Yes, I started up Geany in Supervisor mode from the command line:
   ~$ sudo geany

Then I copied the code from the wiki into a new file:
     [styling]
     default=default
     number=number
     string=string
     word=word
     identifier=identifier,bold

     [keywords]
     primary=true false null

     [settings]
     lexer_filetype=YAML
     extension=json
     comment_single=

     [indentation]
     width=2
     # 0 is spaces, 1 is tabs, 2 is tab & spaces
     type=0

..and saved the file as ~/.config/geany/filedef/filetypes.JSON.conf

> These steps are all you need to have the filetype recognised for files
> with the .json extension, check in the status bar for filetype:JSON
> when you open such a file.  If it doesn't work, check your use of
> case, thats the most common error, *everything* is case sensitive
> including filenames and file contents and extensions.

Saving MyFile.json as MyFile.JSON saves it as filetype:None

Document -> Set Filetype -> Miscellaneous -> JSON file  changes the
filetype to JSON and variable names are bolded and numbers are green

In short, I am almost there.

> 4. You put the check_json script somewhere that is in your PATH list

Hmmmmmmm... I cannot find any trace of /usr/local/bin/check_json

So it appears I don't understand how to use the Build -> Set Build Commands
dialog, which shows "check" in the Name field of the topmost line, followed
by "/usr/local/bin/check_json %f" and I see that /usr/local/bin/
  is already on my PATH:

~$ echo $PATH
/usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games

But what does it take for this dialog to generate the check_json script? Clicking Ok does not do it.

> 5. You edited the build commands and the error exception
>
> This should now give you a "check" item in the build menu when you
> have a JSON file open and error messages in the compiler window should
> point to the line in the source where it occurs.

This is where I run into problems.

Thanks for your patience,

RF