[Geany-Users] Lost ability to create a new file from a template

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Fri Dec 6 13:07:32 UTC 2013

Le 06/12/2013 13:59, Robert Parker a écrit :
> On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 6:59 PM, Robert Parker <rlp1938 at gmail.com
> <mailto:rlp1938 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 1:57 PM, Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com
>     <mailto:elextr at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         [...]
>
>         Or if you are running with a detached menu, then it could be
>         something wrong in the menu stealing hacks.
>

>     I guess that means what Ubuntu does to it.
>
>     I'll try compiling from source and if that works I'll give the
>     Ubuntu deb the flick.
>
>     Thanks,
>     Bob
>

> Compilation done but I still get the same result.

This is expected, the global menu thing is a dynamic hack, it doesn't
need modifying the source of the application, so building our vanilla
copy ain't going to change this.

>>> geany -v
> [...]
>
> ** (geany:11594): WARNING **:
> (../../../lib/unity-gtk-action-group.c:1030):unity_gtk_action_group_disconnect_shell:
> runtime check failed: (shell->action_group == group)

This is what Lex talked about: at runtime, Unity tries to steal
application's menu, and apparently have a hard time doing it for our
dynamic templates menu.  We already saw such problems, but I though it
was fixed in this menu thingie…

Anyway, you should be able to disable the menu stealing, I think with this:

	UBUNTU_MENUPROXY= geany -v

(set the environment variable UBUNTU_MENUPROXY to be empty, and run geany)

I'm not positive it's the solution because I don't have a Ubuntu box
with Unity at hand, but that looks like what the Internets say and wht I
remember.

If this works, then you may report a bug to Ubuntu so that they either
fix their global menu thing, or add Geany to a blacklist for this.

Regards,
Colomban