[Geany-Users] [patch] Improved brackets completion

Павел Рощин roshin at xxxxx
Sat Apr 6 05:18:15 UTC 2013

Sat, 6 Apr 2013 10:28:34 +1100 сообщение от Lex Trotman
<elextr at gmail.com>:

> > * delete second completed char if you pressed BackSpace
> >

> Whats wrong with deleting it by pressing delete which does not need
> any special handling and your "horrible hack" mentioned below?  This
> is essentially contrary to the usual operation of backslash.

You have to press a half of keys:)
Actually it deletes pairing char. This is useful to keep parentheses.
Feature I seen in many editors. Someone may wants to have it in Geany
to suit it needs.

> > * suppress inserting one char twice (if you type "{}" you will get
> >   "{}", not "{}}")
> >

> What do I get when I am editing and accidentally delete the ( and then
> re-type it?

you type ( ->
editor gives (|)
you type BackSp ->
editor deletes it both: |
you type ( again ->
editor gives (|) again

> > * wrap selected text into brackets instead of removing selection
> >   (select text and type "(" or ")" to wrap selection into "()")
> >

> This should be a keycode, not automatic.  Its essentailly contrary to
> the usual UI operation.

It comes with keeping in mind that you usually do not want "select text,
delete it and put a "(" on its place") but want "select text and wrap
it into ()-s". This is why people loves sublime text and so on. Feature
existed in other editors and it will be useful for people who wants
to switch an editor. First time this feature were noticed (for me) in
KDE-s Kate in 2007. When I switched to geany I lived without this
feature but it does not means that I do not want it:)

> > * keep selection in cause of wrapping
> > * for C-like languages wrapping selection into "{}" makes
> >   auto-indentation (select text and type "{" or "}" - text will be
> >   wrapped and indented)
> > * {}-wrapper moves cursor to beginning (before first "{"
> > * for C-like languages to insert {}-block you do not need to select
> >   text precisely: geany detects boundaries automatically, just
> > ensure that selection covers lines you need to indent (works like
> > TAB indentation)
> > * fix auto-indent inside {} for C-like languages (makes full indent
> > for this block)
> >

> I presume this works in accordance with the the indent settings, so it
> doesn't change them if autoindent is off

Yes, I do not make an auto-indent if it is off.

> > * auto-close functions ("sin(|" -> "sin(|);") with double-chars
> >   suppression (for C only)
> >

> Does the tooltip still work?

Hmmm... it seems "yes" but I will check it again. I have enabled all
completion features and did not noticed that somethig went wrong.

> > Patch itself and planning features you will find on my github:
> > https://github.com/scriptum/geany-patches/
> >
> > I also planning to move all brackets logic from editor_notify to
> > GTK's key-press-event because of lack of features in editor_notify
> > events. Is it possible? I tried it and seems that it works fine...
> >

> Key press and adding a character to the buffer can be different
> things, not all keypresses get to be characters in the buffer.
> Admittedly brackets might be fairly safe, but still it would be nice
> to keep the current division for maintainability.

I see. I wiil try to make some work-around. And I will test it as much
as possible. Maybe someone wants to test these too without merging a
patch.

> Test thoroughly that when each type of the autoclose preference is
> turned off, all effects of this change must be removed.  As I said
> above it would be preferable to maintain normal UI operation if
> possible.

It's planning feature. It seems that I need a separate tab for
auto-closing:)

--
Pavel aka RPG