[Geany] setting up 'plaintext' file type

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Fri Sep 7 03:39:38 UTC 2012

On 12-09-06 07:50 PM, Miranda Hawarden-Ogata wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been using geany for a couple months and really like it as my nedit
> replacement, but I'm running into an annoying problem that I'm not sure how
> to resolve. I maintain a "running notes" file in my public_html directory,
> its extension is one of our invisible php includes but I don't want the file
> syntax-highlighting as a php file, I want to be able to create a plaintext
> file type that I can select that has basically no formatting whatsoever.
>
> Unfortunately, nothing I've tried so far seems to work, if there are tags
> like <? etc in the file they trigger these really visually annoying blue
> underline marks on every line for the rest of the file. If I leave the file
> as php, most of it gets formatted as string code due to single and double
> quotes and that also makes it hard to read. I would really love to be able
> to set up some kind of config that just treats the text as simple plaintext,
> plain white or whatever colour text on a nice black background.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated!

Besides what Lex said, you can also put "-*- None -*-" as the first line
of the file (without quotation marks). That should cause Geany to detect
the filetype "None" and stop doing any type of highlighting.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush