[Geany-Users] latest and greatest with mac version

Matthew Brush mbrush at codebrainz.ca
Sun Oct 28 18:29:40 UTC 2012

On 12-10-28 08:10 AM, Trong Thanh Tran wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> This weekend I've spent some time trying to build and bundle Geany for Mac OSX and have made some nice progress.
> I used latest gtk-osx-build-setup.sh and jhbuild and successfully built GTK+, Geany (from git master) & some extra plugins. (I had some hiccups at compiling GTK+ but luckily a work-around has been found.)

Nice work! I wasn't sure anyone else would be as crazy to spend the time
and frustration to get it all building :)

> When it comes to bundle the Mac app, the scripts that Matthew published on github were of great help. Guess what, Copy & Patse shortcuts are corrected to Cmd-C, Cmd-V and works nicely. However, not all files in Mathew's osx repo are needed and some make files doesn't work with latest gtk-mac-bundler (maybe I quit too early) so I have created a new repo with updated scripts & bundle files. The instructions are mostly copied from Mathew's with some of my edits. (But I plan to write more details from what I've learned)

Can you say what files aren't needed and which don't work? I don't
doubt, I just want to know so I can fix my branch next time I'm hacking
on it.

> The new repo I've created here: https://github.com/trongthanh/geany-osx-essentials
> Besides, I have uploaded the bundle .app to the downloads sections so anyone can try on their Mac.
> Note that I'm building this with XCode 4.5 so the app require Mac OSX 10.7+

Why did you create a whole new repository instead of continuing to work
on my branch which is based on Geany's master branch? It's going to be
harder to integrate the changes like this into Geany source tree later,
especially without clear history and discrete, meaningful commits.

> Next step is to enhance the bundled GTK theme to match modern Mac interface and fix the known issues. Honestly I'm a total noob with this stuff and sometimes I have no idea what I'm doing :D Any collaboration and contributions are appreciated.

I couldn't find a good theme that looked like the Lion UI so I ended up
using Greybird (IIRC) which is kind of similar and at least looks nice,
I guess you dropped that theme from your repository? Also I had some
changes to Geany's source code to have the application menu in the
normal position at the top of the screen (using GtkOSXApplication), but
I don't see those changes in your screenshot, was that dropped too? It's
nice to continue in the same line of development because there would be
a commit saying "Dropped XXX because of YYY" instead of just
disappearing changes.

Overall though, I'm glad you've continued work on this and I think at
some point in the near future (after review) we could start integrating
the changes into Geany's master branch once they are rebased ontop of my
branch (or at least on top of Geany's source tree) and the commits are
fixed up.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush