[Geany-Users] Getting familiar with the code

Lex Trotman elextr at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 23:59:38 UTC 2012

On 19 October 2012 06:18, John McCrary <johnmccrary1234 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm wondering on how I could familiarize myself with the code more when
> poking around in Geany.
> I think a good idea is to have a link on the "Developer" page that
> describes some common functions
> that are used in the source code of geany. If not then could anybody help
> me in finding small tasks
> that I could help out with?

Hi John,

Well, you could write a page linked to the developer page that describes
some common functions that are used in the source code of Geany :-D

Seriously, its a good idea, its called design documentation, the only
problems are that doing it after the fact takes time away from the
development tasks and, well, no one who knows how it works wants to do it.

The other way to get more familiar with the code is to do something with
it, select something from the features tracker (or your own feature,
something you are interested in, since if you are like me you won't persist
if you are not interested) that can be done as a plugin.  Plugins use many
of the Geany functions, but they are generally better documented, see
http://www.geany.org/manual/reference/

Make sure you post here what you decide to do for advice and to avoid the
(very unlikely) chance of someone else doing the same thing.