[Geany-Users] Geany Icon

Matthew Brush mbrush at codebrainz.ca
Sun Oct 14 20:18:49 UTC 2012

On 12-10-14 12:05 AM, Lex Trotman wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Geany has in the past specified a fixed image, (the jewel encrusted
> teapot), as the icon to use for its top level window.
>
> There has been a request for Geany to follow the icon set by the theme.
>   This has been committed.
>
> However one of the icons provided by some themes has caused some
> consternation.
>
> So an option to continue to use the Geany icon instead of the theme has
> also been committed.
>
> This mail is to get users preference for the default setting, use the Geany
> icon or use the theme icon (with the Geany one as a fallback if the theme
> has none).
>
> Users can always change the setting at any time, this is only what should
> be the default.

Just to add to my previous quoting of "the standard" here's a blurb from
the GTK+ docs[1]:

"GtkIconTheme provides a facility for looking up icons by name and size.
The main reason for using a name rather than simply providing a filename
is to allow different icons to be used depending on what icon theme is
selected by the user. The operation of icon themes on Linux and Unix
follows the Icon Theme Specification. There is a default icon theme,
named hicolor where applications should install their icons, but more
additional application themes can be installed as operating system
vendors and users choose."

Which again, according to my interpretation, means The Right Thing is to
just ship the default hicolor icon and allow the user to override that
(without digging into application-specific hidden settings to enable it
to work The Right Way first).

Cheers,
Matthew Brush

[1] http://developer.gnome.org/gtk/2.24/GtkIconTheme.html