[Geany-Users] Geany Icon

Matthew Brush mbrush at codebrainz.ca
Sun Oct 14 10:23:01 UTC 2012

On 12-10-14 03:11 AM, Lex Trotman wrote:
> On 14 October 2012 19:50, Thomas Martitz <
> thomas.martitz at student.htw-berlin.de> wrote:
>
>> Am 14.10.2012 09:05, schrieb Lex Trotman:
>>
>>   Hi All,
>>>
>>> Geany has in the past specified a fixed image, (the jewel encrusted
>>> teapot), as the icon to use for its top level window.
>>>
>>> There has been a request for Geany to follow the icon set by the theme.
>>>   This has been committed.
>>>

>> I'm very curious that application icons be themed at all. IMO the icon
>> belongs to the application and is part of its identity, and not some theme.
>> This is also why Linux Mint makes me mad because of its icons for various
>> applications including Geany.
>>
>> (I always switch the icon theme to a less intrusive one [GNOME-Wise which
>> resembles the Mint-y look a bit] on a fresh Mint installation).
>>

> Yes, why do theme developers feel that it is a benefit to users to keep
> changing the application icon in each theme.  The icon is intended to
> identify the application, changing it removes that identification that the
> user is used to between the icon and the application and devalues the brand
> value of the project.  There are many things that can be done but normally
> should not be done, and this is one of them.

IMO, it depends. If it's done properly, it can be made to match the
other icons in the theme and still maintain the "identity" of the
application. For example if all the icons were in a blue square with
rounded corners, then it makes sense for Geany's icon to be the yellow
lamp with red jewels in a blue square with rounded corners to match the
theme. It doesn't make sense to make it an Arabic word that a huge
portion of users won't be able to read and otherwise has no "identity"
of Geany.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush