[Geany-Users] PHP_Beautifier

Matthew Brush mbrush at codebrainz.ca
Tue Nov 27 20:01:25 UTC 2012

On 12-11-27 11:25 AM, barz040 at yahoo.it wrote:
>> I was reading the commit[1] and bug report[2] where this came from and
>
>> am linking here since they're relevant and open in my browser already :)
>>From a quick scan, the issue seems to be specifically here[3] where it
>> sets the error flag after warning about output on stderr.
>
> excuse me but from all your comments I'm lost. What should I do to get PhpBeatufier working?

For now, use the workaround Colomban recommended by changing the command
to (all on one line):

     php -d error_reporting='E_ALL & ~(E_STRICT|E_DEPRECATED|E_NOTICE)'
php_beautifier -s4 -l "..."

Or change it to (untested):

     php_beautifier -s4 -l "..." 2>/dev/null

Or if you're on Windows (also untested):

     php_beautifier -s4 -l "..." 2>NUL

It's needed because a lot of "filter" scripts like PhpBeautifier print
diagnostics info (ex. those "PHP Strict Standards" messages) on stderr
by default but Geany, being (overly) paranoid, assumes that if the
filter command prints diagnostic messages it has failed.

A lot of the other stuff discussed is looking at the cause and potential
solutions to the problem, in terms of fixing Geany itself (ie. not
useful to you at the moment).

Cheers,
Matthew Brush