[Geany-Users] PHP_Beautifier

Matthew Brush mbrush at codebrainz.ca
Tue Nov 27 02:05:08 UTC 2012

On 12-11-25 06:42 AM, Colomban Wendling wrote:

>>> done. Both the commands work fine in terminal.

>>> Xubuntu 12.10, Geany 1.22, GTK 2.24.13
>>>
>>> Those are the error messages in Help>Debug:
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Those same messages are also shown in terminal but all works however!
>>
>> Right, but Geany thinks that since it returned messages on stderr that
>> something went wrong with the command, so it doesn't do the
>> substitution.  You should have a message along the line "The executed
>> custom command returned an error. Your selection was not changed." in
>> the status bar.
>
> What's the point about it BTW?  Normally a command exit status should be
> the way to check, I don't see why we should make weird guess at a
> command not being allowed to output something on stderr?

I was reading the commit[1] and bug report[2] where this came from and
am linking here since they're relevant and open in my browser already :)
 From a quick scan, the issue seems to be specifically here[3] where it
sets the error flag after warning about output on stderr.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush

[1]
https://github.com/geany/geany/commit/697d6aff746ed1f6fe5d5545786881064de136c8