[Geany] whitespace_chars and wordchars confusion

Martin Spacek gmane at xxxxx
Sat Mar 24 01:09:15 UTC 2012

Hello,

I think this is may be my first post here. I've been using Geany for years now,
and am very grateful for it.

I'm working on a LaTeX .tex document (my thesis), and I've gotten into the habit
of using the Reflow command to convert my long lines into shorter ones, for the
sake of easier version control (I have the long line marker turned on, so it
reflows to that). But I've noticed that on reflow, it'll split up a word like:

\cite{abc}

into:

\cite
{abc}

to make the most of the space. I'd like it to treat the whole thing as a single
unbreakable word. Same goes for stuff like:

(\degree)

which, depending on where it is in the line, sometimes reflows into:

(
\degree)

These are two different things in LaTeX, because a newline in the source is
turned into a space in the output.

I assume the reflow command uses the same logic as the next word/previous word
keyboard commands to determine what needs to be treated as an unbreakable word.
I've noticed that next/previous word navigation also stops at { and }.

So, I've tried both adding and removing { and } to the "wordchars" setting in my
filetypes.latex, as well as to the "whitespace_chars" setting in my
filetypes.common, to no avail. I currently have "use_gtk_word_boundaries=false"
in my geany.conf, because I prefer the way next/previous word navigation works
with it.

Can anyone advise how to force curly brackets to be considered part of a word?
Have I stumbled upon a limitation, or maybe a bug?

I'm running the latest geany from git, and the latest plugins (including
GeanyLaTeX) from svn, on Ubuntu 11.04.

Thanks,

Martin