[Geany] Line breaking vs Reflow lines behavior

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sun Mar 18 02:00:44 UTC 2012

On 18 March 2012 09:42, Toni Wiki <toniwiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am new Geany user and in this mailing list so Hi all from Spain.
>
> With your permission, i will start with a question.
>
> I am running Geany 0.21 on Ubuntu.
>
> I have setting "Line breaking column" in Prefs at 72 and "Line
> Breaking" option enabled. When i type a word past this limit Geany
> insert a carriage return at the end of the line and put the cursor
> on the line below. Now on the same paragraph if i do a "Reflow
> Lines/Block" the lines are cut at 70 position. The same for
> diferents "Line breaking column" values (cuts at 2 less "Line
> breaking column" value).
>
> Is this a right behavior ? Thanks.
> (Sorry for my sorry English)

Hi Toni,

This is known behaviour.  The two ways of doing line breaking are
performed differently.

The difference between the two is that line breaking on input is
performed by Geany based on character columns, whereas reflow is
performed by Scintilla (the editing component Geany uses) using line
widths in pixels calculated based on the width of a space in the
default style.

We are not sure why these are different (at least when everything uses
fixed fonts) but it may be due to differences in counting columns (ie
is column 72 on the left of the character or the right?), different
handling of trailing spaces and off-by-one pixel counts cause the
latter to break more conservatively than the former.

IIRC fiddling with offsets didn't seem to cure it, so until someone
authoritatively finds why the difference there is no known cure.