[Geany] Find in files without following symlinks?

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Fri Mar 16 23:50:25 UTC 2012

On 17 March 2012 09:18, Worth, Kevin <kevin.worth at hp.com> wrote:
> I have some symlinks in our code directories that are produced as part of a
> build process and the result is upon a recursive Find in Files in my
> top-level directory, I have several “copies” in the results.
>

> I can do
>
> find <directory> -type f | xargs grep <search string>
>
> as find does not follow symlinks by default.
>

> However, due to not wanting to duplicate behavior that find already has,
> grep itself doesn’t offer options to control symlink following.
>

> Any suggestions on how I can get geany’s find-in-files not to follow
> symlinks? I tried replacing “grep” in my preferences with “find . -type f |
> xargs grep” but that didn’t see to work (Cannot execute grep tool 'find
> -type f | xargs grep'; check the path setting in Preferences)

Hi Kevin,

The command is not run in a shell, so you can't pipe commands
together.  You could use a script instead of grep directly.  This will
need to edit the options Geany gives grep appropriately.