[Geany] "Find in Files" doesn't work on Windows 7

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Fri Mar 16 13:06:04 UTC 2012

On 16 March 2012 23:52, Fischer, RonaldX O <ronaldx.o.fischer at intel.com> wrote:
>> On 16 March 2012 23:01, Fischer, RonaldX O
>> <ronaldx.o.fischer at intel.com> wrote:
>> > When I execute "Find in Files", a console windows pops up for a
>> fraction of a second, and
>> > then disappears. No results being shown, also no error message.
>> >
>> > The "message" line of Geany shows:
>> >
>> > grep -nHlrF -- ....
>> >
>> > The only grep.exe in my PATH is the Cygwin implementation of grep.
>> This should work well, and
>> > even if there is a problem with my grep, I wonder why I don't see any
>> error message.
>>
>> Please always specify version and platform when asking questions.
>
> Geany: 0.21
> Platform: Windows 7 (64bit)
>
>> Does the grep command work with those options if you try it on the
>> command line in the appropriate directory?
>
> Yes. It returns a list of filenames which matched.
>
>> Anything grep outputs should be shown, so perhaps it doesn't return
>> anything, including an error message.
>
> There is some output - I can see it while the console Windows is flashing
> open -, but the time is to short to read it.
>
>> Unfortunately some more user friendly completion processing is
>> available in Unix, but Windows does not provide the same completion
>> statuses.
>
> No, but in this case, I don't see why Geany should not be able to start grep.
> I even configured it by specifying the complete path (C:\Cygwin\bin\grep.exe)
> of the grep command - same effect.

Well, clearly it is starting it, the command window shows that.

But it shouldn't run in a command window AFAIK, the output should go
to Geany, its not much good going to a window which, as you say, only
hangs around for a moment.

Geany just calls a Glib routine to run the command, what version of
Glib are you using? see in Help->Debug Messages