[Geany] Open slooooow on Win7

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Thu Mar 15 14:30:03 UTC 2012

On 12-03-15 06:59 AM, Fischer, RonaldX O wrote:
> I have installed Geany 0.21 on Windows 7 on a local drive. When I click on "Open",
> it takes 18-19 seconds until the "open" dialogue appears. It then shows correctly
> the files (also on local drive), and selection goes quickly from then on.
>
> Any idea why we have this long waiting time? It occurs on every "open", not just
> the first one after starting Geany.

Do you have remote file systems mapped (ie. shared folders, ftp, etc.)?
I know at least in Linux, since 2.24.something the GTK+ file chooser
dialog started accessing every remote file system that was available,
taking an long amount of time depending on the speed of the connection,
just to find out what type of icon to show in the dialog's sidebar. What
version of GTK+ are you using? (it should show it under Help->Debug
Messages or printed on the command prompt if you run `geany -v`.

One thing you could try is to use "native" Windows dialogs, which no
doubt won't suffer from this bug. IIRC it's a hidden setting in the
geany.conf file. I believe it's documented in the manual somewhere.

If it's not this remote file system/dialog problem, I have no idea.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush