[Geany] Selecting language for interface

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Tue Jun 26 14:29:09 UTC 2012

Le 26/06/2012 12:55, Martin Larsson a écrit :
> I'm now running Geany 1.22 on Ubuntu 11.10. For some reason, the
> interface is now using nn_NO. This locale is not complete, so the
> interface is rather confusing. Is there any way to select nb_NO (my
> default) or en_US instead?

The Nynorsk translation (nn) has been added in 1.22, and I guess you
system is setup to prefer nn, so it uses it.  However I don't think
however that we ever had a nb translation, so I guess you had Geany
untranslated (English)?

Anyway, the way to change the language used for UI translations is to
set the LANG environment variable to your preferred language.  You can
do this on your OS side, but it will affect all your programs; or you
can hack a bit to do it only for Geany.

Basically you need to launch Geany in an environment with LANG set to
what you want.  From a terminal it's easy, just launch:

$ LANG=en_US geany

It's harder for desktop launchers because they don't have a convenient
way to set the environment, you then will need a wrapper script doing
that for you, which will be called by your launcher in place of stock
Geany.  Something like:

#!/bin/sh
LANG=en_US geany "$@"

Hope it helps,
Colomban

PS: Another alternative would be to complete the nn translation to be
better usable :)