[Geany] mail filetype or replacing vim with geany

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Tue Jul 31 21:40:10 UTC 2012

Le 30/07/2012 17:53, Gour a écrit :
> Hello,

Hi Gour,

> at the moment I'm minimalist (in term of skills) vim user, but soon
> will start working with Django as well as wxpython project and seems
> Geany has very nice support for both (wx)Python and some specific one
> for Django.
>
> However, if replacing vim with another editor, I'd like to use it as
> external editor in my (Claws-mail) mailer. For that purpose I have the
> following line in my Claws' preferences:
>
> gvim "+set ft=mail" -f %s
>
> which takes advantage of vim's paragraph reformatting option (gq
> command) so that, for instance the above quoted paragraph:
>
>> However, if replacing vim with another editor, I'd
>> like to use it as
>> external editor in my (Claws-mail)
>> mailer. For that purpose I have the
>> following line in my Claws' preferences:
>
> would be reforamtted as follows:
>
>> However, if replacing vim with another editor, I'd like to use it as
>> external editor in my (Claws-mail) mailer. For that purpose I have the
>> following line in my Claws' preferences:
>
> which is very handy when dealing with quoted messages.

You mean it reflows the paragraph (^J) but keep the ">" at line starts,
right?  No, Geany doesn't currently know there can be stuff that should
be kept when reflowing.  However I agree that such a feature, if it can
also work with comments and strings, too, would be very handy :)

> Afaict, Geany does not have support for 'mail' filetype, but I wonder if
> there is any interest to support it and/or tweak some of the present
> format'a support to get the above mentioned enhanced support?

The easiest way to add this would probably be a plugin providing an
alternative reflow implementation that takes care of keeping the leading
">".  The best implementation would probably be to teach Geany to keep
such constructs when reflowing (comments, strings, etc.).

About a mail format, I'd think one of the text formatting filetypes
(txt2tags, REsT, Markdown) knowing ">" for quoting would probably be
sufficient -- and since they already exists, you wouldn't have to add a
new one :)

> It's nice that Geany has '-i' option which was one of the reasons why I
> gave up on considering SublimeText2, but having support for mail
> filetype would be dream-land!

Hehe, Neverland's so close!

Cheers,
Colomban