[Geany] Lost all my scribble notes

Russell Dickenson russelldickenson at xxxxx
Tue Jan 31 00:21:21 UTC 2012

On 31 January 2012 09:37, Teresa e Junior <teresaejunior at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 10:33:01 +1100
> Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>[...]
>>> Thank you for the tips, Lex, but it basically means I've lost all my
>>> notes, doesn't it? Unfortunately, I don't have a recent backup :(
>>
>>Unless you can find a copy somewhere I'm afraid, yes, it means you
>>have lost them.  I can't criticise, my backups are way behind too.
>>

>>> Anyway, don't you think it is a good idea to change the notes to a
>>> separate file instead of a variable in .conf? Of course, I have a
>>> separate application for notetaking, but scribble is handy for quick
>>> notes while working in Geany.
>>
>>Storing scribble in a separate file would not make it any less
>>vulnerable, but it would add extra complexity, which that makes
>>everything more vulnerable.
>>
>>Cheers
>>Lex
>>

> OK, thanks!

Can I suggest perhaps adding your configuration files - Geany's at a
minimum - to a version control repository, whether using git, bazaar
or any other modern system? Once you had that done you could also
schedule an import of config files perhaps once a day. They'd only be
stored locally but at least you could revert to any revision with a
minimum of disk space being used.

Another suggestion would be to keep important notes somewhere other
then Geany but that doesn't solve the essential nature of the problem.

// Russell